Last year, we came across a malware named Android Defender. This malware, once inside the victim’s phone, locks the device and demands a ransom to unblock it. This malware is classified as a screen-blocker type ransomware. But now, it seems like hackers have stepped up their game. A new Android malware is doing the rounds on the Internet. And it is being dubbed as the first Android ransomware that encrypts the infected device’s data and demands ransom to decrypt it. It is known as Simplocker.
What does Simplocker Look Like?
Once installed in the phone, Simplocker displays an icon named “Sex xonix,” as shown in the image below.
What Does Simplocker Do?
– Simplocker is a Trojan horse that masquerades as a harmless application for Android devices. Once installed in a device, it displays a message in Russian. The message informs the user that his data has been encrypted and demands a ransom to decrypt it.
– The ransomware disables the Back and Home button on the compromised device, when it displays its message on the screen. This makes it difficult to uninstall it. The malware is also designed to start every time the device boots.
– Simplocker scans the SD card of the infected device for various files including pdf, doc, mp4, png, jpeg, etc., and starts encrypting them. In other words, the malware converts files, videos, music files, pdfs, text files, and images into a form that cannot be read or used by the user.
– The Trojan sends the IMEI (International Mobile Station Equipment Identity) of the infected device to a remote server. This way, the attacker can know when the victim pays the ransom.
Some Important Facts About Simplocker
– Simplocker, currently, is only prevalent in the Ukrainian region.
– It has not been found in Google Play store.
– It demands a ransom of 260 Ukrainian hryvnias (£13) to decrypt the encrypted data of the victim’s phone.
– The level of encryption used by Simplocker is weaker compared to that used by CrytpLocker, the ransomware that targets the Windows platform.
Safety Tips to Prevent Simplocker Infection
1. Always install apps from Google play and official sites.
2. Turn off Bluetooth if not in use.
3. Install a reliable mobile security software that automatically scans apps before they run for the first time.
4. Take regular backups of your important data on your phone on cloud or external storage devices.
5. Before connecting your mobile devices to any computer, ensure that the latter is secure with a multi-layered antivirus software.
6. Avoid clicking links in unknown and unsolicited emails and SMSs.
7. Have your mobile apps updated to their latest version. And ensure that your mobile OS is updated too.
How Quick Heal Can Help
Quick Heal detects this ransomware as Android.Simplelocker.A, and protects user data from being
encrypted by the malware. Readers are advised to follow the safety measures listed above, and install Quick Heal on their mobile.
Thanks QuickHeal for Updating us with this latest important info.It feels good that there is a reliable Website which regularly informs us about the Latest Tech.Upgrades and Hazards.
my Quick Heal could not support my laptop (HP PAVILION OS7) anytime show update now. I want by Quick Heal RS.900 (2 user)& I click update option no response . so,what I do?
We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. To rectify your issue, you are requested to contact our support center on 0-927-22-33-000. Or submit a ticket by visiting this link – https://www.quickheal.com/submitticket.asp.
i like it
my name is kelvin Aaron from Nigeria an IT engineer i introduces quick heal antivirus to all my client and the love it since 2011 i love quick heal antivirus my email is email@example.com
That’s great to hear. Thank you for your appreciation and we are glad to be of service.
good information & thanks for the update
Can I connect android cell to my laptop, Laptop is already protected by Quick heal
Yes, you can connect your Android smartphone to the laptop. If you have purchased Quick Heal Total Security, you can also scan your smartphone through the Quick Heal dashboard with the help of the PC2Mobile scan feature.
i purchased quickheel server eddition antivirus.maine install kar diya.but problam is my server very slow or koi bhi kam nahi kar sakte plese help me any body
Could you please specify what issue you are facing exactly? You can always call up our support center on 0-927-22-33-000 or submit a ticket by visiting this link for assistance – https://www.quickheal.com/submitticket.asp.
In response to your query, we would like to redirect you to our customer support team. They can be reached on 0-927-22-33-000. You can also submit a ticket and have them call you back by visiting this link – https://www.quickheal.com/submitticket.asp. The team regularly solves issues such as yours and will successfully help you find a suitable solution as soon as possible.
good updated information from time to time. keep it up and request you to add more micro-max mobile products in mobile scan portal.
Thank you for the kind words and your feedback. We are constantly working towards adding new devices for our PC2Mobile scan feature, and we will surely pass on your feedback to the concerned parties.
Thanks for awareness.
Thanks for awareness.
All of we must know the fact that we must install software from legitimate sources. Use of security software like Quick Heal is recommended. People often think that why they have to invest on security software, due to cost factor, speed issue etc. but they are wrong.
Nice good info thanks a lot
As the name signifies “QUICK HEAL”, it also quickly heals the computer from infected viruses,trojans,malwares,etc.
i’m using it since two years and i am completely safe & special thanks to the quick heal team for publishing such information and their support.:-)
Thank you for your appreciation and your kind words.
I am really happy to got it .so thank you for it.
I hopes that it different apps c
ome in the market.only by you .I like this different apps.
regiration faled please enter product key
To resolve your issue, we request you to contact our support center on 0-927-22-33-000. Or submit a ticket by visiting this link – https://www.quickheal.com/submitticket.asp.
quick heal’s mobile security is superb
Thank you for your appreciation.
Thanks QuickHeal…for nice info
nice info and thank you
Hi, I am Anirban. I am using QH for last one year and found that its a great software to protect my PC. I also like the updates provided by QH and the latest news. Thanks to QH team.
Thank you for your appreciation and your kind words.
dear rahul i hv found one folder in ky android cell ph and it seems tht it is virus bt quick heal cant be able to remove it. will u pl help me
To resolve this issue, you are requested to contact our support center on 0-927-22-33-000. You can also submit a ticket by visiting this link – https://www.quickheal.com/submitticket.asp. They will ask you for some details regarding this folder and then help you remove it successfully.
Hey, i have been using Quick Heal since 4 years now and i really like it. Recently i tried to scan my nokia lumia 625 for virus but it seems that my licensed copy of Quick Heal Total Security version 15.00 doesn’t recognize it as a mobile phone. Can u help me out??
Firstly, thank you for being our valued customer for 4 years and having faith in our products for your security. With regards to the PC2Mobile Scan feature for your mobile phone, there are some models which are near impossible to get support for due to a lack of cooperation from the OEM’s side, in this case, Nokia. The reasons for this are manifold and often cannot be found out accurately. We are constantly trying to provide support for every device that comes out but sometimes, this is not achievable without adequate support. We hope that soon enough we will be able to provide support for your specific device, Nokia Lumia 625. Apologies for the inconvenience.