This Cricket World Cup, stay safe against hackers and online scammers by following these few simple security measures.
What Can We Expect from Hackers?
This cricket World Cup, we are expecting hackers to:
1. Send bulk emails to a large number of users all over the world. These emails will contain links to phishing and malicious websites. They may also contain attachments hiding malicious codes.
2. Create several fake websites that look like the official site of the cricket World Cup to steal personal and financial information.
3. Inject vulnerable websites with malicious pop-up ads to either redirect users to fake websites, or drop malware on their system.
4. Use social media networks like Facebook and Twitter to propagate their scam by posting links to fake and infected websites.
5. Create fake and malicious sites claiming to offer live streaming services.
Steps to Avoid Cricket World Cup Scams
1. As always, the safest place to watch the cricket World Cup is your television.
2. Buy tickets only from the official website which is www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-world-cup
3. Even if the above link comes to you in an email from ICC, do not click on it. The safest way is to type the URL in the address bar of your browser.
4. Do not trust any email claiming to offer you free tickets, discounted tickets or special travel deals. Never click on links or download attachment in these emails.
5. Do not respond to online ads claiming to offer streaming services for the World Cup or free tickets.
6. If you receive any text message or calls asking for your personal information in return for tickets or travel vouchers, disconnect the call.
7. While searching for videos, wallpapers, images, etc., of your favorite cricket starts or matches, only trust official and well-known websites.
8. Do not respond to social media posts (Twitter, Facebook, etc.,) that claim to provide free tickets, live streaming services, etc. Advise your friends not to share, like or comment on these posts.
9. For live streaming, only trust popular websites such as www.starsports.com
10. Protect your system with a reliable antivirus software like Quick Heal, which provides protection against phishing emails and phishing website.
Stay safe and may the best team win!