This is a precautionary blog post for our readers, especially those who use the social networking site Facebook.
An old online scam seems to have started doing fresh rounds on the Internet. Online scammers are sending emails to users claiming that their unread messages will be deleted from their Facebook account and urge them to view their notifications.
These emails appear to have been sent by Facebook Administration, and notify users of their inactivity in their account.
Here’s what may happen if you click any button or link in such emails:
– Redirection to websites that may try to sell you products via credit/debit card transaction.
– Redirection to websites that may steal your personal or financial information.
– Redirection to compromised websites that might automatically drop a malware on your system.
Advice for our Readers
– Do not trust any unwanted or unexpected emails
– Avoid clicking links or downloading attachments embedded in such emails
– If you have any concerns about your Facebook account, log into the site by typing the URL in the address bar
– Always verify such information from multiple sources before acting on it
– Spread the information among your family and friends who use Facebook