Beware of Scam – RBI offering unclaimed funds through lottery
This scam email claims to be from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) office. The email is quite well crafted and carries a certain degree of professionalism in its wording. Scammers are offering unclaimed money from none other than the Reserve Bank of India and are claiming that the RBI is offering a sum as high as $500,000.
To make this offer seem realistic they have even mentioned the RBI Governor D Subbarao’s name and they also mention a so-called meeting with a “Senate Tax Committee on Finance”. After creating a jazzy story to create a virtual atmosphere of money gain in the mind of the users, the scammers put forth their intention of asking for personal and banking details in a subtle manner. They then also ask for Rs. 10,500 for the purpose of crediting the unclaimed amount to the victims account on the same day.
The scammers have not hesitated to use the RBI Governor’s name in addition to seeking details like full name, age, sex, address, bank details, etc. so users must be aware and cautious at the same time.
We recommend that you ignore such emails and do not bother replying to them.
- Dos and Don’ts while entering you Debit Card PIN at Retail Outlets
- Let’s Celebrate Computer Security Day with these Safe Computing Tips
- Here’s a Checklist of Things you shouldn’t Reveal Online
- This is a Story about what’s Behind the Curtain – No, we are not Revealing it Yet!
- Latest IT Security News, Alerts and Updates for this Week